- Support for editing GetText-PO files
- Support for editing SwingX JXTipOfTheDay properties files (loaded using TipLoader)
- Going forward there is support for more specialist format like GetText-PO files and TipOfTheDay properties files
- New tab interface for files. The various views can be "docked" / "undocked" as required
- List views can now have a child record screen.
- Group filter option added
- Start from the begining/end option in the find dialogue.
- Foreign Language support (via GetText PO files).
- Option to use po files directly or after converted to compiled resource bundles.
- Sample translation files for Spanish, chinese etc created using Google Translate.
- Enhanced HTML Export, option to open exported file with default programs
- Highlight change fields in compare
- Minor GUI changes
- Problem fix's
- Enhanced Help menu (can open Manual / Forums etc).
- Enhanced Filter's - support for An / Or operators, more fields and Starts With operator
- Minor changes to Fin function + Starts With operator
- Enhanced Record Selection Edit screen + problem fix's
- Minor layout editor changes + problem fix's
- Many minor GUI changes mostly related to Windows and Nimbus Laf
- New FileWizard reader for use when the file is not recognized.
- New placement of files in the User Home directory (driven by Windows User Access Controls)
- New Program Startup (driven by Windows User Access Controls)
- Rewritten Save As/Export with a few more options. Changes incluse:
- Separate Save As option
- New Xslt export option.
- New Script (Jython, JRuby, NetRexx etc) export option. It uses Java JSR 233 ScriptEngine so any compatible languages should work.
- When selecting a specific export option, only the relavent panel is displayed. There is an option
to bring back the old look: Edit Options >>> Properties >>> Other Options Show all export panels).
- Can now view / edit Csv, Xml and Fixed export files directly in the Editor.
- The File Copy and File Compare option's have moved from File to Utilities. This may change again in the final version.
- Delete key deletes selected records (There are options to control this in Edit Options >>> Properties >>> Other Options).
- Escape key will close most Utility Screens (work still needed, please report any I have missed) and the Single record Screens.
The escape key will not close the main list screens !!!!.
- New option to control how the program starts (Edit Options >>> Looks >>> Screen Properties).
Options include Maximised, Set Size or Last Size.
- Extended Record Selection, Record Selection can now been
- done on multiple fields connected with And / Or boolean operators
- >, < >= and <= operators
- Velocity included as standard (instead of being an option).
- Copybooks and sample files have moved from the install directory to the user directory (Windows UAC related).
On the SaveAs/Export screen there is
- Option to edit the output file (only if the recordEditor can work out the structure)
- Option to keep the screen open
- New Xsl transform option. You can use an external tool (e.g. saxon) but it must be allocated at RecordEditor Startup.
- Velocity / Xslt options now remember the extension last used with a particular Template
- General Changes
- New Tree Csv-Export
- 2 Tree Variables (root & nodeList) provided to Velocity templates
- 2 new Velocity Templates (zXmlStyleSheet1.vm & zXmlStyleSheet2.vm)
- Cobol Changes
- New option to import all Cobol Copybooks in a directory
- Reintroduced Batch load of cobol copybooks (see runCobolBatchLoad.Bat). This tool allows single files to be loaded or whole directories
- LayoutEditor Changes
- A child record can be used multiple times in a Group record
Changes from the last production release consist of
- Rewrite of Layout Wizard to
- Support Multi Record Files
- Better support Unknown Format (New screen available which will try and work out the
file format but give the user the opertunity to try various file formats.
- New field search Function which will look for fields in a fixed width file.
- New Show / Hide Field function
- New Prefered Layout.
- New unknown formats which can be used to display file contents.
- New Change layout function.
- Support for H2 Database's Mixed Mode (Generic version).
- Enhanced Copy utility
- New copy option to copy a RecordEditor file to Xml file.
- Added optional Error-File and error-limits to the online / batch copy utilities.
- Added new -il/-ol (input/output layout) and -ef (error file) options to the batch copy utility.
- Internal changes to support "Object Data Stores" like Protocol Buffers and Avro. See Protocol Buffer Editor and Avro Editor's.
The latest test version can be downloaded from Download
Version 0.68.2 is a fix for HSQL running in embedded mode. There are some changes for
utf-8 / 16 files as well.
Version 0.67/0.68 is mainly about improving Cobol Support. Changes include:
- Support for Open Cobol (Standard + allmodes) and improved Fujitsu support. The
Open Cobol - Microfocus mode should work with Microfocus Cobol (it is based on
Open Cobol running in microfocus Compatibility mode).
- New File copy function. This utility can
- Copy Fixed width to / from delimited (csv) files.
- Copy Xml files to Fixed width / Delimited files.
- Copy from one Cobol dialect to another.
- New Recent files item (File Menu)
- Table Paste function (edit menu), allows data to be pasted in from Excel etc).
- Reporting is now available in sister product ffreport (Flat File Reporting)
- Usual collection of bugfixes
Version 0.65 is mostly rounding out of existing feature, the one enhancement
is the File Compare utility. See
Changes version 0.65 for more details.
Briefly Changes are
- New Diff (file compare) Utility. This compare does a Field by field compare;
The advantages of this include Can save the definition of Filters, Sort Tree's and Record Tree's and execute
- Different types of files can be compared (i.e fixed width files / CSV files).
- Can ignore fields
- Can Export/Import RecordLayouts as XML
- Can save files as XML.
This release contains new "Tree" views, Combo boxs etc, See
Changes version 0.62 for more details.
- 3 new Tree views added to editor.
- New Column view (where rows are displayed as columns going across the page).
- Support of Combobox's in the Editor.
- Parameter Editors in the LayoutEditor
- Limited support for editting XML files.
- New Parameter field editors int the Layout Editor
- Can Import / Export Record-Layouts (copybooks) in a Csv Format
- New Option to copy copybooks between DB's.
- Support for Combo's Box / Check box fields
- Improved CSV Support:
- Supported in the File Layout Wizard
- New Generic CSV File type where the user chooses the format of the CSV file at runtime.
- Support for different line parsers
Cleanup / bug fix, + Enhanced Wizard and XML import functions. See
Changes version 0.61b for more details.
Mainly Look and feel related. See
Changes version 0.61 for more details.
- Improved Options Editor.
- Can now choose the Look and Feel / Icons.
- Improved date support.
- Several minor improvements like, Full Line view, Full line display at the bottom of theRecord Screen
Selected View (Data drop down).
- Bug fixes (Date and CSV files).
Mainly extra functions
This version is mainly changes to the user Interface to improve ease use.
Major changes are:
- Addition of Standard File, Edit ... Top level menus similar to what is in a normal text editor.
- Addition of a Menu bar with standard Windows Icons.
- New Create Layout option added to the Layout Editor
- New Create Layout Wizard that allows you elect the fields in a file.
- Improved Find / Replace (Further work to done in the next version).
- In the editor, Columns can be fixed (ie do not scroll off the screen) via
the right click menu.
- Support for Fujitsu Cobol files and types added (Jean-Francois Gagnon).
- Null padded / terminated Strings types added.
The RecordEditor ~ Jasper Interface has been released as a separate download. It requires
RecordEditor and iReports be installed. This package:
- Illustrates calling RecordEditor routines
- Can design and generate reports from Fixed Field Width data files
which includes Binary, Cobol and Mainframe/Cobol datafiles.
This version is primary a refactoring of the code with aims of:
- Making it easier to extend the editor
- The GUI code has been split from the File / Field access java code.
- Opening the code up for other uses.
- Creation of java examples for extending / using RecordEditor classes.
- Support of CSV files ( files with fields Delimited by comma's, tab, etc).
- Export of files in Comma / delimitiered format
- Support for mainframe VB format.
Changes in this release
- Filtered views of the Data. See "Filter Screen" for more details.
- Save As / Export function introduced. This allow you to save
as either a Data file, a single HTML table or a HTML table per record.
- The whole File
- or the current View
- or Selected records
- Help System added - Form level help added.
- Documentation changes including new tips section.
- Code Refactoring and the odd bugs.
This release basically is to support Linux. Mostly it consists of changes to
- Support for editing Windows / Unix / Linux / Mac Text files on all systems.
- Changes for running on Linux (ensuring consistent use of Character case).
- Ensure consistent use of character case in Filenames/URL's.
- Installer for Linux.
- Minor Bug fixes (i.e. better table cell exit handling).
This change was to support Mainframe Binary files.
- Support for editting native IBM Mainframe files (on a PC etc) using a Cobol Copybook
- Improvements in Cobol Import function
- Bug fixs
- Binary Files in the Access version
- Type Conversion fix's (particulary the binary)
- More Test cases
This version was to support Floating point numbers and bug fixes.
Release 0.50 Initial Release:
The initial release of the RecordEditor