The RecordEditor program has always run on Linux / Unix, but originally many
of the associated files (eg documentation) did not store files in the correct case
(Linux is case sensitive). As of version 0.52.1 this has been corrected.
There is now an installation program
for Linux / Unix. To run install the RecordEdit on Linux you should:
- Unzip the zip filoe
- Run the installation program (i.e. java -jar RecordEdit_Installer_for_HSQL_0.97g.jar)
under your normal user id.
- The installation should install Icons on your desktop to:
- Start Server - It starts the Database server used by the RecordEditor.
You will have to run this option before running the RecordEditor.
- Stop Server - Stop the Database.
- Full Editor - The actual "Record" Editor.
- Record Editor - A cut down version of the "Record" Editor.
- Layout Editor - The "Record Layout" Editor. It also will load
Cobol Copybooks into the System.
- Edit Properties - Edit the Properties / Jar files used by the editor.
- Welcome Display basic Documentation.
- Manual - Manual for the system.
- The Installer will create shell scripts in 2 directories
I suggest including one of these directories in your path. That way you can edit a file
- One difference from the Windows is you must start the DB Server
prior to using the RecordEditor.
- Start the Edit Properties, take the Screen Position tab
and set the Space ot be left at the bottom of the screen to 40. For Gnome users
also set the Space ot be left at the top of the screen to around 20.